The building was designed by Peters and Burns, a Dayton-based architectural company, and constructed under the direction of Dayton contractors Beaver and Butt. During the building’s early years, it was home to companies such as the Manhattan Clothing Store and Oleman’s Department Store, which maintained premises there in the 1890s and 1910s. The building was not always used for commercial purposes; an arts school operated in the building during the 1888-1889 schoolyear. Among the building’s interior features is a mail chute, which according to local lore is one of the earliest installed in any building nationwide.
The Kuhns building was substantially renovated by the Shifflers in 2007 and has been primarily used for commercial office space.
Current tenants include: Attorney Generals Offices / FLHS, Better Business Bureau, Noble Staffing / MRI, Parallel Employment Services, Fordham Foundation, MLA Companies, Equitas Health, Cross Street Partners, and Subway.