What is now called the Lion Brothers Building was built in 1886 as a livery stable. It became associated with one of Baltimore’s oldest continually operating businesses, the Lion Brothers Company, after the company relocated to and expanded the building following the 1904 Baltimore Fire. The Lion Brothers Company manufactured embroidered emblems in the building until the late 1950s, before relocating to Owings Mills. Globe Screen Printing then occupied the building until the early 2000s, leaving the building vacant until now.
Among the tenants leasing space are anchor Enterprise Homes, Inc., of affordable and workforce communities; Baltimore Community Lending, a CDFI dedicated to transforming and revitalizing Baltimore neighborhoods; the University of Maryland Baltimore County (UMBC) Intermedia and Digital Arts graduate program; University of Maryland Ventures/ GRID, an innovation space; Neopol Savory Smokery’s processing center; and Spring Garden Lending, a private lender specializing in bridge and permanent loans.
Baltimore Heritage 2017 Adaptive Reuse and Compatible Design Award
CREW Baltimore Beacon Award – 2018 Community Impact Award
ULI WaveMaker Award – 2019
University of Maryland
The Baltimore Sun